Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Waichler joined PNNL in 2000. His primary responsibility is development and application of hydrology and biogeochemistry simulation models for science and management applications. Software experience includes the Distributed Hydrology-Soil-Vegetation Model (DHSVM), Phreeqc, STOMP, R, C, Linux, Perl, ArcInfo, IDL, LaTeX.
- Groundwater and Contaminant Modeling
- Statistics of hydrologic timeseries
- River Modeling
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Bioresource Engineering, Oregon State University, 2000. Statistics Minor
- M.S., Hydrology/Hydrogeology, University of Nevada, 1991
- B.S., Geology, Stanford University, 1984
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- Registered Geologist, State of Oregon, #G1703
- Long PE, KH Williams, JA Davis, PM Fox, MJ Wilkins, SB Yabusaki, Y Fang, SR Waichler, ES Berman, M Gupta, DP Chandler, CJ Murray, AD Peacock, L Giloteaux, KM Handley, DR Lovley, and JF Banfield. 2015. "Bicarbonate Impact on U(VI) Bioreduction in a Shallow Alluvial Aquifer." Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 150:106-124. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2014.11.013
- Freedman VL, X Chen, SA Finsterle, MD Freshley, I Gorton, LJ Gosink, E Keating, C Lansing, WAM Moeglein, CJ Murray, GSH Pau, EA Porter, S Purohit, ML Rockhold, KL Schuchardt, C Sivaramakrishnan, VV Vesselinov, and SR Waichler. 2014. "A high-performance workflow system for subsurface simulation." Environmental Modelling & Software 55:176-189. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.01.030
- Freedman VL, RD Mackley, SR Waichler, and JA Horner. 2013. "Evaluation of Analytical and Numerical Techniques for Defining the Radius of Influence for an Open-Loop Ground Source Heat Pump System." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 18(9):1170-1179. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000720
- Rockhold ML, DH Bacon, VL Freedman, KR Parker, SR Waichler, and MD Williams. 2013. System-Scale Model of Aquifer, Vadose Zone, and River Interactions for the Hanford 300 Area - Application to Uranium Reactive Transport. PNNL-22886;RPT-DVZ-AFRI-019, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Freedman VL, SR Waichler, RD Mackley, and JA Horner. 2012. "Assessing the Thermal Environmental Impacts of an Groundwater Heat Pump in Southeastern Washington State." Geothermics 42:65-77. doi:10.1016/j.geothermics.2011.10.004
- Yabusaki SB, Y Fang, KH Williams, CJ Murray, AL Ward, R Dayvault, SR Waichler, DR Newcomer, FA Spane, and PE Long. 2011. "Variably Saturated Flow and Multicomponent Biogeochemical Reactive Transport Modeling of a Uranium Bioremediation Field Experiment." Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 126(3-4):271-290. doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2011.09.002
- Freedman VL, RD Mackley, SR Waichler, JA Horner, TW Moon, DR Newcomer, DJ DeSmet, KA Lindsey, and JJ Porcello. 2010. Hydrogeologic Evaluation of a Ground-Source Cooling System at the BSF/CSF on the Battelle Campus: Final Report. PNNL-18463 Final, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Skaggs R, SA Breithaupt, SR Waichler, T Kim, and DL Ward. 2010. Analysis of Flood Hazards for the Materials and Fuels Complex at the Idaho National Laboratory Site. PNNL-20029, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Rockhold ML, DL Saunders, CE Strickland, SR Waichler, and RE Clayton. 2009. Soil Water Balance and Recharge Monitoring at the Hanford Site - FY09 Status Report. PNNL-18807, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Dresel PE, KB Olsen, JC Hayes, JI McIntyre, SR Waichler, and BM Kennedy. 2008. "Environmental Applications of Stable Xenon and Radioxenon Monitoring." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 276(3):763-769.
- Yabusaki SB, Y Fang, and SR Waichler. 2008. "Building Conceptual Models of Field-Scale Uranium Reactive Transport in a Dynamic Vadose Zone-Aquifer-River System." Water Resources Research 44:W12403. doi:10.1029/2007WR006617
- Dresel PE, KB Olsen, JC Hayes, JI McIntyre, and SR Waichler. 2006. "Sampling and Analysis of Rare Gas Isotopes for In Situ Delineation of Buried Transuranic and Tritium Waste ." In Waste Management '06: Global Accomplishments in Environmental and Radioactive Waste Management: Education and Opportunity for the Next Generation of Waste Management Professionals. Arizona Board of Regents, Tucson, AZ.
- Waichler SR, and SB Yabusaki. 2005. Flow and Transport in the Hanford 300 Area Vadose Zone-Aquifer-River System. PNNL-15125, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, BC Wemple, and MS Wigmosta. 2005. "Simulation of Water Balance and Forest Treatment Effects at the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Hydrological Processes 19(16):3177-3199.
- Waichler SR, WA Perkins, and MC Richmond. 2005. Hydrodynamic Simulation of the Columbia River, Hanford Reach, 1940--2004. PNNL-15226, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR. 2005. Preparing PNNL Reports with LaTeX. PNNL-15197, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR. 2005. Potential Groundwater Recharge from the Infiltration of Surface Runoff in Cold and Dry Creeks, Phase 2. PNNL-15533, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Freedman VL, SR Waichler, CR Cole, VR Vermeul, and MP Bergeron. 2005. "Identifying the Potential Loss of Monitoring Wells Using an Uncertainty Analysis." Ground Water 43(6):916-925. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2005.00047.x
- Freedman VL, ZF Zhang, SR Waichler, and SK Wurstner. 2005. 2005 Closure Assessments for WMA-C Tank Farms: Numerical Simulations . PNNL-15377, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, and MS Wigmosta. 2004. "Application of Hydrograph Shape and Channel Infiltration Models to an Arid Watershed." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 9(5):433-439.
- Zhang ZF, VL Freedman, and SR Waichler. 2004. 2004 Initial Assessments for the T and TX TY Tank Farm Field Investigation Report (FIR): Numerical Simulations. PNNL-14838, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Zhang ZF, VL Freedman, SR Waichler, and MD White. 2004. 2004 Initial Assessments of Closure for the S-SX Tank Farm: Numerical Simulations . PNNL-14604, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Dresel PE, and SR Waichler. 2004. Evaluation of Xenon Gas Detection as a Means for Identifying Buried Transuranic Waste at the Radioactive Waste Management Complex, Idaho National Environmental and Engineering Laboratory . PNNL-14617, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, MS Wigmosta, and AM Coleman. 2004. Natural Recharge to the Unconfined Aquifer System on the Hanford Site from the Greater Cold Creek Watershed: Progress Report 2004. PNNL-14717, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Waichler SR, and MS Wigmosta. 2003. "Development of Hourly Meteorological Values From Daily Data and Significance to Hydrological Modeling at H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest." Journal of Hydrometeorology 4(2):251-263.
- Vermeul VR, MP Bergeron, CR Cole, CJ Murray, WE Nichols, TD Scheibe, PD Thorne, SR Waichler, and YL Xie. 2003. Transient Inverse Calibration of the Site-Wide Groundwater Flow Model (ACM-2): FY03 Progress Report . PNNL-14398, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.